09 April 2007

dusty springfield - son of a preacher man

Another song that I've first heard on the famous morning radio show. Until then... well, I had heard of the name Dusty Springfield and assumed it was a man's name. It sounded like a country singer to me :))).

This is probably one of my favourite "oldie" song. Speaking of which, I have a dilemma as to how old a song must be to be qualified as an 'oldie' and what other criteria it must fulfil. You may or may not have noticed that I haven't put that label on Pink Floyd for instance. It just doesn't feel like an oldie to me. And then, there are the 80's songs. Run to You, recently posted, has been released about twenty years ago, but I wouldn't call it an oldie. I've heard kids going 'wow, that is an old song' about songs I've been dancing to at highschool reunions. Gosh... I think those songs are still young... it is me growing old :(

Take a look at this footage. Look how she enjoys what she's doing. Check out that dancing style. Listen to the simple orchestration, close your eyes and feel how alive this song is and how it communicates the mood. Don't see much of this these days :(

No comments: