11 February 2007

america - horse with no name

I am too young to have known America for anything other than the band that sang The Last Unicorn. Sadly and shamefully for me, I still don't know much else. But there is one other song I know and love.

The first time I ever heard this was on an interactive show at a local radio station. The DJ had the habit of asking people to call in with their top ten songs on a certain topic, or with specific words in the title. He'd make a final top of those and air them the next day. One of the given topics was 'songs with animals in their title'. Among black dogs, cats in the cradle and eagles from abba, there was this. I fell in love with the song in an instant and never ever heard it anywhere else. Several years later I remembered it, asked someone to download it, lost it again and re-downloaded it myself after a couple of years.

This winter I was with a friend, we wanted to listen to some music, we've already had some share of the 70's and I said let's listen to this. Here is what the dude said who uploaded it on youtube:
A Horse With No Name, originally entitled "Desert Song", the song was renamed at Samwell's suggestion. It was written on a rainy day in England and was intended to capture the feel of the hot, dry desert Bunnell remembered from his childhood at Vandenberg Air Force Base. Enjoy.


No comments: