14 March 2007

dire straits - brothers in arms

If you were the sole survivor of World War Three... what would you sing in farewell over the graves? I'd go for this one. It's a morbid thought, I know. But the message that this songs conveys to me - the lyrics, the vocal, the guitars - it's just a desperate, disappointed headshake at someone who just can't grasp the obvious: the futility of violence. I was shocked years ago when I first heard the song, for I knew Dire Straits only from merrier songs like Money for Nothing and Sultans of Swing. The imagery this song always evoked was that of burnt fields, smoke still rising and clouding the vision, ruins in the distance and an overwhelming feeling of loneliness and hopelessness in front of the way the tides are rolling. I have only seen the video once before looking it up on youtube and honestly, I couldn't imagine it otherwise than black and white. There's so many different worlds, and so many different suns... And we have just one world but we live in different ones...

No comments: