19 March 2007

the doors - not to touch the earth

Posting a Doors song here is an act of courage for me. There are several bands that I just do not dare to approach. I am intimidated by the aura surrounding them. It's not a thing that I can explain rationally. No one is forcing me to listen or ignore, to like or dislike, but somehow I can't bring myself to give them some attention and get my own opinion. I have only recently dared listen to some Pink Floyd albums. I still haven't stuck my teeth into the Doors. I know "the hits" and that's about that. I've promised myself to remedy this situation as soon as possible. Why I have posted this particular song and not some I'm a bit more familiar with... well, because of the story.

So, the first time I came across The Doors... I didn't know I had come across them. :) I was in the... seventh grade maybe. The last hour on Wednesday was religion, we always held that one in another classroom. I was (they say) a Catholic, there were relatively few of us, so we had a really old classroom, with old wooden writing desks. These desks have been the witness to many generations of students of various grades and as such were bearing the marks of time. From maths formulas to drawings in boring hours, in pencil, in ball-point pen, etchings, declaration of love and... lyrics.

On the desk I was seated at, I found the following: 'Not to touch the Earth, not to see the sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run...'. I had no idea what it was or whose it was, but I loved it. I loved it so much that I wrote it on the huge sheet of paper I had glued on my dresser, where I gathered sayings and lyrics from songs (these sheets will come up again in my posts). Just the quote and in my mind filed it under 'author unknown', attributing it to the one who had written it on the desk. Only many years later have I found out that those lyrics belonged to none other than Jim Morrison, being the beginning of this present song.

No comments: