26 March 2007

nelly furtado - powerless

I like Nelly. I had mixed feelings about her first single Like A Bird, sometimes liking it, sometimes being bored by it. The album title Whoaaa... Nelly was kind of cute though an I liked other songs of it, like (Shit) on the Radio and Turn off the Lights, not to mention Forca. Her comeback now after a baby break is really amazing, with more great songs. She manages to be good looking, to be hot'n'sultry if she wishes without becoming cheap, which is a pretty rare thing in my view. One of my favourite tracks of hers is Powerless (Say What You Want), dealing with her ethnic background and the way ethnicity is treated by majoritarian cultures. A serious issue to a lighthearted tune. Listening to this on my mp3 player while making my way through rain to work puts a smile on my face, regardless of how many reckless drivers manage to soak me in puddle water. Cuz this life is too short to live it just for you...