27 March 2007

goo goo dolls - here is gone

When I first heard Iris, I instantly fell in love with the song. It... touched something. Much later did I see the movie City of Angels of which it was part of the soundtrack and made the connection to the lyrics. For a long, long time, it was the only song I knew from the band. Slowly, I discovered more and Goo Goo Dolls are definitely in my top ten bands now with Here Is Gone being one of the faves. I remember either reading or hearing a piece of trivia at some point. I guess 12 years waiting for international success (they were formed in 1986, Iris was released in 1998) can do that to you: before Iris made it big, singer/songwriter John Rzeznik had serious self-esteem problems regarding his songwriting skills. I think his songwriting skills are fucking amazing, but judge for yourselves.

No comments: