13 March 2007

u2 - van diemen's land

Actually, this song wasn't requested by anyone. It's just a way of saying thank you. On to the explanation: I love U2. They are one of the top three bands I want to see in concerts. They have songs that touch me in a way... There is probably more to come from them on this blog, there is no way around that. I have the U2 discography and yet I have always avoided this song for a pretty silly reason: its name. It reminded me of Vin Diesel who, at the time I got the discography was mega in-vogue because of the triple X, which was pretty enough for me not to like him. Due to that association, I usually skipped the song. So, my thank you goes out to the one who's opened my eyes (or rather my ears) to it, as I've come to appreciate it as a jewel among many other jewels bearing the U2 trademark. Ladies and gentlemen, give it up for... The Edge.

Hold me now, oh hold me now
'til this hour has gone around
And I'm gone on the rising tide
For to face Van Diemen's land

It's a bitter pill I swallow here
To be rent from one so dear
We fought for justice and not for gain
But the magistrate sent me away

Now kings will rule and the poor will toil
And tear their hands as they tear the soil
But a day will come in this dawning age
When an honest man sees an honest wage

Hold me now, oh hold me now
'til this hour has gone around
And I'm gone on the rising tide
For to face Van Diemen's land